When you work on a b&d garage door opener yourself make sure that you take proper safety measures as there is a lot of moving parts in it. You must also know what the issue is precisely for which you will need to make a number of checks. Simply removing the cover and tightening a few loose parts may not serve your purpose and prove to be a futile effort, wastage of time and even money if you have to call a professional eventually for rectifying the further damages done to it by you.
Therefore, follow these steps to ensure you restore the functionality without injuring yourself or damaging the door opener needing the entire door to be replaced.
Check the lights first
Your DIY endeavor for b & d garage doors service must start by checking the light of the unit.
- Remove the cover from the light carefully and take the light bulb out.
- Next, disconnect both the switch as well as the safety sensor wires.
- After that, remove the multiple screws completely to unplug the circuit board.
If you find that the light is not working check the light socket that may need to be replaced with a new one.
Checking the trolley carriage
Next up, you will need to check the trolley carriage whether it opens the door or not. If you find that the trolley carriage is moving but the garage door does not open it means the trolley carriage is faulty and will need to be replaced.
- To replace the trolley carriage, secure the chain first before you remove it from the trolley. If you do so, it will be easier for you to disconnect the rail from the header bracket.
- Move the rail next to one side so that you can remove the old trolley and fit in the new one.
- When you are done the fixing, put the chain back on its position and adjust the tension.
When you check the tension in the chains make sure it is at the right level. A slight mismatch will cause the chain to come loose and fall off the sprocket. On the other hand, if it is too tight then it will result in faster wear and tear.
If you are unsure about the right tension in the chains, you should get it checked and rectified by a professional who is experienced in b&d garage door repairs.
Ensure safety during the process
To be safe and ensure safety to others you must make sure that you work when the garage door is down. This will prevent the door from crashing down if there is a serious problem in it and cause potential damage to the door and injuries to you as well as the people around.
Also, make sure that you unplug the door opener before you start working on it to prevent it from being accidentally hit while you are still working on it. This will eliminate the chances of injuries to your hand and even getting electrocuted.